View RSS Feed

Sachin

A Tale of Garden Redemption

Rate this Entry
Name:  Garden_Guelph_Arboretum.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  54.6 KB

We are indeed fortunate to have found a garden design firm whose services and work ethics fit perfectly with our needs. This company literally worked with us from start to finish. What we really needed, especially in the early phase, was someone who could guide us and give us advice. Most of the services we have found online did not seem to focus too much on this aspect. And then we found a wonderful firm which sent a lovely girl to sit down with us and discuss our plans (or lack thereof).

Neglected for far too long

Our garden was left to fend for itself for far too long. My husband and I were away for most of the year. We decided that we’d spend the year travelling and visiting family and friends before we reached the age where it would be difficult to travel by ourselves. So we locked up the house, asked our nephew to check on it occasionally, and set off to visit children and grandchildren. We also spent a month visiting European cities we’ve always wanted to see. Now that my husband is retired, he could not think of any excuse to forego the adventure. We had a great time travelling, especially up in the Lake area where one of our kids settled down to start their own family.

What we had to work with

The lovely young lady from our current favorite Garden Design Sussex company asked to see our garden first, because we were really not that clear on what we wanted to do with it. All that my husband could say was that the garden, or what used to be a garden, was now full of brambles and bushes he didn’t recognise. And I can only add that I want my old garden back. Actually, we wanted a better one. Before we went to see the “jungle” out back, she asked if we have a picture of the old garden. We showed her a photograph of a family lunch taken in the garden. It was not the entirety but she said it was a good enough start.

Making new memories

I regret that we did not take a picture of the old garden when the flowers were all abloom. That garden was a solace for me, and when the kids were young, we had a great time digging and growing things. And then somehow, it was left to fend for itself. I’d ask a local gardener to clean it up and cut the bushes once in a while, but we didn’t have the time to add to what we had. Now, it’s just so beautiful and comfortable that my husband and I spend more time outside than we’ve ever had in the past.

I really liked that experts in Garden Design Sussex made us feel how important our garden is to our lives. The time and effort they spent making those sketches and bringing pictures and samples of flowers in riots of colour I’ve only seen in gardens in the Netherlands. We didn’t mind that they were also very detailed on the contract that we had to sign. They showed that their services are straight forward and honest, and my husband in particular appreciated that.

--------------------
Alexandra Villiers served as a columnist in a lifestyle magazine for more than 20 years. Her current passion is garden design Sussex, where she spends time tending to flowers and learning what she can about gardening and design concepts.

Submit "A Tale of Garden Redemption" to Digg Submit "A Tale of Garden Redemption" to del.icio.us Submit "A Tale of Garden Redemption" to StumbleUpon Submit "A Tale of Garden Redemption" to Google Submit "A Tale of Garden Redemption" to Facebook Submit "A Tale of Garden Redemption" to Twitter

Comments

Leave Comment Leave Comment