We don’t like to brag about our age, but it’s hard not to at over 120 years in business!
It all began in 1890 when Simon Spector opened up a furniture store in Ansonia, CT and we haven’t left town since. Spector Furniture has been handed down through generations of families, starting with George Spector who took over when his father Simon retired. Eventually, his nephew Larry Winer (son of Simon’s daughter, Bella) joined him and worked in the business for 81 years! When George retired, the Kreiger family stepped in, with David Kreiger becoming Larry’s partner. Now David’s sons, Ken and Howard, carry on the tradition as owners of the store.
Throughout its history, Spectors has survived a number of economic ups and downs-such as the Depression of 1929, World Wars I and II, and more locally, the flood of 1955 to become what it is today. Products and style statements may come and go, the speed of communication may have increased a million-fold, businesses may never operate as they did 100 years ago, and there will be no more horse and buggy deliveries (thank goodness!), but for Spector Furniture one thing has remained constant, our philosophy of how we do business.
Our business philosophy - for well over a century remains as follows:
Respect your customers, offer a good product at a fair price and back it up with good service (and not just advertise it!).
We certainly can’t forget to thank our loyal customer base that refers both friends and family on a continual basis. Spectors has been catering to generations (third and fourth generations to be exact) of customers with the same quality of service. It is not uncommon to hear the phrase “I remember coming in here with my parents when I was a child” or “My entire house is furnished by Spectors”. Nor is it uncommon to bump into a neighbor, relative or friend in our showroom while you’re shopping.
In our “early days”, financial arrangements were based on a handshake (50 cents down and 50 cents a week!). Computers have allowed us to offer benefits such as INTEREST FREE payment plans, direct billing to our customers and credit/debit cards (by the way … we accept MasterCard, Visa, and Discover cards)

In summary, Spectors has held onto the traditional way of conducting its business with a “family friendly” approach. The “Big Box” approach of catering to the masses is o.k. for some, but at Spectors we’ve held onto the tradition of a more personal approach in tailoring to your needs. We have a great variety of offerings either in our showroom or through our catalogues. Our sales associates do not work on commission. No push, no pressure to “buy now – or else.” Or else what? If you have a question that we can’t answer, we’ll call the factory - directly. No stories, no deception – just honest, straightforward answers. Delivery is free at Spectors (within a 20 mile radius) and we even take away your old furniture…FREE of CHARGE. Now you can’t find that in a “Big Box” store. Feel free to visit our showroom to see what we’re all about!!
Spector Furniture ~ Family owned and Operated Since 1890

385 Main Street

Ansonia, CT 06401
Bus: 203-734-2525
Fax: 203-734-2525

www.spectorfurniture.com