PDA

View Full Version : Necessary to redo attic spray foam after 4 years?

John, IL
09-18-2014, 03:19 PM
I had our attic spray-foamed in 2010. Our HVAC contractor recently did a semiannual service. The technician came down from the attic, where he was checking the air handler, and he was wringing wet with sweat.

Another technician said we needed an energy consultant to check the spray-foam job since leaks in the foam were likely allowing hot, humid air into the attic.

The consultant suggested removing all the batt insulation in the ceiling and redoing the spray foam to totally encapsulate the attic.

Is this good advice? Will removing all the batt insulation affect the heating/air conditioning service in the house? Will it now be trying to condition the air in the attic?

home improvement guy
09-18-2014, 06:03 PM
Make sure all the vents are sealed. If open vents are found, sealing them should resolve the matter.

If not, the second step would be to verify that the spray foam insulation was properly installed.

Installing batt insulation matters only if you have a supply and return vets. It doesn't make a difference one way or the other if there are no vents.

If no air vents are added, the attic will be a little hotter or cooler than the outside air temperature, and that will transmit to an extent down into the current living space.

So if no air-supply vents are added, I would suggest keeping the batt insulation.

I would not redo the spray foam unless it was improperly installed.