PDA

View Full Version : Freestanding baths

Candy
11-24-2014, 11:15 AM
We're planning to remodel a large bathroom and want a welcoming focal point for the room that will really get some attention.

The issue is that my husband and I are not exactly sure what that main focal point should be.

Any ideas on how we can create a wow factor as soon as you walk into the space?

home improvement guy
11-24-2014, 12:57 PM
For larger bathrooms, I recommend moving the bathtub out of the traditional alcove area into a more open space without any surrounding walls. This can create a very dramatic look.

In the past this was usually done by framing in an island-type setup, then installing a drop-in or under-mount bathtub inside the finished island.

However, a new trend I've noticed is to install a freestanding bathtub in place of the custom-built island setup. A freestanding bath is finished inside and out and accessible from all sides. Basically, you move it into place and install the plumbing. It's almost like installing a big fancy vase in the middle of your bathroom.

Just remember that freestanding baths are primarily used for soaking, so in most cases you will need to have a separate shower stall in the bathroom as well. Also, even though it's called freestanding, this type of tub is usually a high cost option.

Olga
11-24-2014, 05:14 PM
Hi Candy.

A few ideas for you: