PDA

View Full Version : Best practices to get ducts cleaned ?

Nelson
01-05-2015, 11:27 AM
I live in a 38-year-old home that has never had the ducts cleaned, so obviously I need to get this done.

So many people have told me to be wary of companies who advertise with cheap prices, because either they really just do not do a thorough job or will add on lots of expenses once they are in your home.

I've also been told a bigger filter will keep the ducts cleaner.

home improvement guy
01-05-2015, 12:10 PM
When purchasing something for myself or hiring a contractor, my theory is to pay a little extra for quality, and I have not yet been disappointed.

When a company advertises a lower than normal price, ask yourself this, "How can they make a profit at such a low cost?" The answer is that most of the time they can't, but it provides an opportunity to have their salesperson work one-on-one with you to sell additional products or services. There is nothing illegal in what they are doing; it's simply salesmanship 101.

To protect your interests, always get a second or even a third opinion before hiring a contractor to work on your home. Do your ducts need to be cleaned? For an older home the answer is most likely yes. If you have floor registers, take one or more of the covers loose and look at all the dirt and debris inside the ducts. You can clean what you see with a vacuum cleaner, but the remainder of the ducts will be out of reach for most vacuum cleaner hoses.

A commercial duct cleaner will have a longer hose, a stronger vacuum and a vibrating brush to loosen the debris inside the ducts. They will also need to clean the furnace fan and wash and clean the interior-cooling coil, some things a homeowner should not attempt to do. However, changing the furnace filter is something you need to do on a regular basis. But, increasing the thickness of the manufacturer's recommended filter can affect airflow and can even damage the furnace fan or the outside air conditioning unit.

There should be a metal guide inside the furnace or ductwork housing to accept the installer's or manufacturer's recommended filter thickness. Do not change the filter's size unless the unit is inspected and approved by a licensed heating technician.

You can find additional information about filter types and sizing in a 2009 article by David Springer printed in the Home Energy magazine at homeenergy.org/show/article/page/3/id/667.