PDA

View Full Version : Requirements for weep holes

Seth
02-17-2015, 01:18 PM
I live in a homeowners association. The president has decided to have someone come and drill weep holes in our structure right at the brick ledge area of the slab.

I had asked him about insects/termites getting in them now. I have not received an answer. Should we put hemp or cotton rope in the holes now?

I looked in the international building code book for the proper requirements but did not see anything.

Do you have any advice for me?

home improvement guy
02-17-2015, 02:33 PM
Weep holes are designed to be installed as the first few rows of masonry (in your case, bricks) are installed. The purpose is to provide drain openings to release any water that becomes trapped between the backside of the masonry and the exterior wall of the structure. This is referred to as the "drainage plane."

In order for the weep holes to work as designed, there needs to be a row of L-shaped flashing material attached to the structure's wall with the bottom edge of the "L" inserted into the mortar joint of the masonry. The flashing should be inserted in the mortar joint just below the weep holes. When water enters the masonry and runs down the drainage plane, it is trapped by the flashing and forced out through the weep holes.

Drilling holes without the flashing materials may help, but most likely will not. As you suggested, small sections of a cotton rope or similar material inserted into the weep holes can be used to help prevent pest entry.

Weep holes, wicks and vents should not be under the soils next to the foundation or under landscaping materials used in decorations. Plants and shrubs should not affect how the weep holes function. Your building should be under contract with a licensed pest control operator, but weep holes are not associated with termite infestation.