PDA

View Full Version : Ground fault circuit

Richard
07-01-2015, 08:45 AM
My home was built in the 1950s, and I don't have these outlets. Should I have one installed?

home improvement guy
07-01-2015, 09:07 AM
Yes! First, I recommend that all electrical work be performed by a licensed (where required) and insured electrician. A ground fault circuit interrupter, or GFCI, protects people and animals from accidental shocks or electrocution. A ground fault occurs when an electrical current flowing through a wire or appliance unintentionally flows through an unintended path to the ground. If you are using a defective appliance or you are standing in a damp area, your body could provide a shorter path to grounding and you could be shocked or electrocuted.

The GFCI has a circuit inside the outlet (or breaker if a GFCI breaker is used) that monitors for an imbalance in the flow of current. If there is an imbalance, the GFCI will trip off, sometimes as fast as 1/30th of a second. Over the years, the National Electrical Code has been amended, adding this important lifesaving device to newly constructed and remodeled homes.

A GFCI will also protect an older two-wire, ungrounded electrical system where the newer three-prong outlets have been installed. It is against the code to simply replace an older two-prong outlet with the newer, three-prong, grounding type. Also, when you have a motorized circuit such as a freezer or refrigerator or when there is florescent lighting, a GFCI may trip too often to be useful. You can install a dedicated outlet for these appliances, but the outlet must be connected to a ground.

The dates I have researched do not always match research by others, but a GFCI can be used in almost any 120-volt or 240-volt circuit.

The only argument among home inspectors is when and where they are required. Below is a list I often use:

Dates that GFCIs were required:

1973 - Outside outlets near grade or within 15 feet of a pool.

1976 - Bathrooms outlets.

1980 - Garage outlets.

1981 - Near pools, hot tubs and spas.

1986 - Outlets within 6 feet of the kitchen sink.

1986 - At least one GFCI in an unfinished area of a basement.

1987 - Boat house or dock.

1990 - Crawl space outlet.

1993 - Wet bar countertops within 6 feet of sink.

1996 - All kitchen countertop outlets, not just those within 6 feet of the sink. There has always been some discussion as to where to measure the distance. Some say from the outlet to the faucet and some say to the edge of a sink. I always use the edge of the sink, as this allows for a greater area of protection.

1996 - Unfinished accessory buildings at or below grade.

2005 - Within 6 feet of the edge of a bar or laundry sink.