PDA

View Full Version : GFCI wiring in my garage

Edward L
08-27-2015, 09:27 AM
I understand GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) wiring is done for safety of the occupant/homeowner and is construction code.

I recently purchased a brand new home and moved in the early part of the year. GFCI hookups reside in the bathrooms, basement, kitchen and the attached garage. I was surprised to learn that the GFCI in the attached garage also includes the overhead lights (not the light on the garage door opener).

This perhaps would impede safety in the garage if someone were in the garage when the GFCI engaged, and therefore the individual would not have any lighting to get out of the garage or find and reset the GFCI.

I have contacted the builder to question this, and the subcontractor is citing the 2009 IRC (International Residential Code) as well as the 2014 NEC (National Electrical Code) and insisting they are in compliance with the codes with regards to the garage GFCI hookup. I did find a website addressing GFCI hookups. The attached garage is specifically addressed.

Please let me know your thoughts and provide any advice on whether I should continue to pursue the builder on this issue.