PDA

View Full Version : Problems with ventless gas log

Richard J.
01-11-2016, 02:18 PM
I'm having trouble with a ventless gas log.

When I use the log there are odors and the smoke alarm sometimes goes off.

Is there anything I can do to remedy the problem or do I need a professional. If so, who do I call?

home improvement guy
01-11-2016, 02:49 PM
The first thing is to determine that the odors you are experiencing are not from the natural gas supply to the log or maybe from any other gas appliance in the home. Natural gas is colorless and odorless, but it has an additive that was introduced by the gas supplier. The odor reminds me of rotten eggs and is used as a warning. This is to get your attention that something is wrong.

If you suspect you have a gas leak, do not turn on a light or any other electrical appliance or use a cellphone inside the home. The entire family and pets need to go outside and immediately report the possibility of a gas leak to the utility company or dial 911.

There are some people who say the odors are brought into the burning log from existing odors that are present in the air of the home such as those from paints, stains, cleaning chemicals, etc. If this were true, the odors would always be present when the log is in use. My experience has shown that a new log probably has oils and cleaning agents that are a part of the manufacturing process. When I'm in a new home with a ventless gas log, I often recommend the buyers "burn the log off" to reduce future odors. I have found that if the gas log is allowed to burn for approximately three hours, the odors will usually subside.

I also remind the buyers to only use the gas logs for a few hours at a time and to then ventilate the fumes by opening a window or door for a short period of time. A vented appliance is not all that efficient whereas a ventless log is 99 percent efficient up until the time you have to open a window or door. Various sources say that two to three hours of use is based on the size of the home and the availability of fresh air. Refer to the manufacturer's installation instructions for size and use of logs. I know I have used my ventless gas log, and there are minor odors at the beginning of the heating season, but they soon go away, and I never use the log for more than an hour at a time.

A quick tip: If the pilot light does not stay on and you've already replaced the thermocouple, remove the cooled logs to expose the opening for the pilot light. Use a can of pressurized air, the kind normally used to clean electronic components, to spray the inside of the gas tube opening. Things as small as spider webs or common house dust can obstruct gas flow and keep the pilot from igniting.