PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on choosing a traditional-type tub

Henry M
03-22-2016, 12:34 PM
We're building a new master bathroom and my wife wants a freestanding cast-iron bath, like the old claw foot tubs.

I have been checking the Internet and it's getting a little confusing.

Plus, I really would like to see some tubs in person to help decide. Can you please point me in the right direction with some thoughts on choosing a traditional-type tub?

home improvement guy
03-22-2016, 12:57 PM
The choosing process can be hazy because of all the design variations out there. So, I like to break down the choices to three basic categories. Once you know the type of freestanding cast-iron tub you like, focusing on that one category.

Here are three basic types:

1. Actual refinished vintage baths. These are very old claw foot-type tubs that have been refinished. If these tubs could only talk...

2. New copy of a traditional tub. These tubs have copied the older designs, but they are brand-new fresh from the factory.

3. Modern type freestanding. These are vintage-looking cast-iron tubs with modern design twists. A bottom base in place of feet and a slip-resistant floor lets the past to meet the future.

Final note: Even though we're talking about freestanding tubs, these fixtures can be pricy.