View RSS Feed

home improvement guy

1. How can I paint my house like a pro?

Painting one or more interior rooms is a (relatively) simple and often cost-effective means to spruce up the look of your home without major remodeling. Since painting is labor-intensive job, it tends to be somewhat costly. If you’re willing to invest your own time and sweat, you can paint your rooms yourself and save some cash. As home jobs go, painting is one of the better ones to approach as a DIY job – but take care with the planning and execution. Mistakes can pile up early on, and you might ...
  2. What heating problems should I watch out for this winter?

Name:  home-heating-radiator.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  16.4 KB

In most parts of the nation, your heater is one of the most important appliances of your home for the next few months. A blown-out heater can leave your family literally in the cold for hours or days during the most frigid part of the year. Here are some tips to stay warm and toasty this winter:

Get an HVAC inspection

This usually costs about $100. Ideally, you’ll have done this already. But if not, it’s not too late to call an HVAC company ...
    Categories
    HVAC
  3. What kind of thermostats can I install?

In recent years, the ubiquitous home thermostat has evolved a great deal, from traditional dials and needles to electronic screens to models that can predict your HVAC needs. While basic models work well for some, more advanced models offer major benefits in terms of both comfort and energy efficiency. Here’s a rundown of the major types and what you can expect to pay for them.

MECHANICAL NON-PROGRAMMABLE THERMOSTATS

Mechanical thermostats are the lowest costing option, ...
    Categories
    HVAC
  4. Replace a fossil fuel furnace to lower emissions – and your bills

Whether you want to reduce the greenhouse gases your home produces or lower the cost of your utilities, a heat pump might seem like a good idea. Here are some important factors to consider before you make a purchase.

IT’S A HEATER AND AN AIR CONDITIONER

The most commonly installed are air-source heat pumps, which resemble air conditioner units that sit outside your house. During winter, a liquid refrigerant in a copper coil extracts heat from the atmosphere as warm air ...
    Categories
    HVAC