View RSS Feed

home improvement guy

1. How should I stain and seal my deck?

Your deck represents a sizable investment in your home, so regular maintenance is essential to keep it in good repair. If your deck is made from composite materials, it should last decades with basic cleaning, but if your deck is built from wood, it needs to be stained and sealed every few years for optimal long-term performance.

Even the best-quality stain and sealant will eventually wear away under outdoor conditions, and once sealant wears away, your wood is at the mercy of the ...
  2. How should I open my pool for the summer?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pool-How_to_open.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	11420Nothing says summer fun like taking the cover off the pool and taking a cool dip. But before you start splashing around, you need to make sure your pool is safe, correctly prepared and ready to go.

A pool professional can make your pool summer-ready. Itís a good idea to hire a pro, because pool chemistry is a complex task you definitely donít want to get wrong. For the best results throughout the season, hire a pool pro to check things out weekly or biweekly. ...
    Categories
    Patio and Outdoor
  3. How can I improve my energy efficiency?

The period following Earth Day is a great time to think about the impact our homes have on the environment. But beyond lowering your environmental impact, increasing your homeís efficiency will also increase your comfort, lower energy bills and improve your homeís valueó all at once! Here are five quick tips to make your home a model of efficiency.

Protect south-facing windows

The biggest impact on your homeís heat level in the summer comes from the south, where sunlight ...
  4. What goes into yard leveling?

Over time, you may notice changes in the levels of your yard and landscape. Sections of dirt may be worn down by erosion, water may pool in puddles in your lawn or you may have an area of depression that sinks and dips beneath the ground.

The solution to this and several other problems is to hire a pro to level your yard. This is also known as grading or resloping.

Erosion drainage is the most common cause for needing a regrade. Buried building materials, a sewer leak ...
    Categories
    Garden, Landscaping
  5. How can I minimize water damage?

With the advent of spring and the rainy season, many parts of the country are heading into the wettest part of the year. Water damage ó whether from rain, flooding or a plumbing leak ó can be swiftly damaging and quite expensive. The average water damage restoration job costs about $3,100. Two efforts can save serious amounts of money: preventative maintenance and fast cleanup. Hereís a rundown of how to protect yourself.

Prevent the leaks

Your most effective tool against ...
  6. Peeling paint

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peeling_Exterior_Paint.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	11414Peeling paint is a burr under the saddle of many homeowners, Iím afraid, and the causes are numerous.

The best way to understand why paint peels is to think about all of the things you have that do hold their paint without peeling. How about your car or truck, or your aluminum siding, gutters and downspouts? Even lawn mowers, snowblowers and other outdoor tools fall into that category. So does the outside of my 20-year-old house, which has fiber cement siding. ...
Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast