View RSS Feed

home improvement guy

1. When is it time to replace my carpet?

Eventually, even the best-laid carpets must be replaced. While regular upkeep can increase your carpet's lifespan, most manufacturers estimate you'll need a full replacement after about 10 years. And the signs you need to start shopping around aren't always obvious. Here are a few ways you can tell your carpet is reaching the end.

Stains won't come out

Whether it's from spilled wine or a new puppy, there are some stubborn stains that even professional cleaning can't get ...
  2. How can I improve the lighting in my home?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lighting.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	11297Lighting is an important, yet often overlooked, design element that can impact the look and feel of your home.

Fortunately, it's also one of the easiest to update! Whether you're looking to add ambiance and task lighting – or simply to swap out a few outdated fixtures – these ideas will help to inspire lighting upgrades in every room.

Living room: Apart from the kitchen, there's perhaps nowhere else in your home more highly trafficked than ...
    Categories
    Lighting
  3. Your smart-home devices could be easy to hack. Here’s how to protect yourself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	home-security-system.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	11296

So your holiday gift was a new smart-home device. It could be Amazon's Echo, often called "Alexa," or Google Home using "Siri," which provide music, news updates and other information features; iRobot Roomba to clean your floors; the Ring doorbell, or a smart TV for voice-command video.

Maybe you're thrilled with your gift, or maybe you're a bit wary, given recent reports of cyberhacking of some devices. Internet-oriented devices ...
  4. How much does interior painting cost?

A fresh coat of paint can go a long way in transforming your space – and what better time to start than heading into a new year? Here's what you need to know to set your budget and complete a job well done.

Getting started

Painting the interior of a 2,000-square-foot house costs between $1,900 and $7,800. Wall height, designer paint and regional differences all play into the final price point, so be sure to communicate with your painting pro about your budget.
  5. How can I boost productivity in my home office?

Working remotely has its perks, but it can also present unique challenges to stay on task and move full steam ahead. If you feel held back from reaching your potential on the job, consider upgrading hidden components of your home office to increase productivity and put your best foot forward.

Plants

Fresh foliage does more than brighten things up in your workspace. In addition to oxygenating the air, multiple studies have found that natural additions to a room positively ...
  6. How can I prevent a fire during the holidays?

Twinkling lights, a crackling fireplace, home-cooked meals with your favorite family and friends – there’s a lot to love about Thanksgiving and the holiday season. There are also precautions to take and necessary maintenance needed to keep you and your home safe, whether you’re playing host or spending some time away.

Careful cooking

The kitchen is the heart of the house. It’s also where home fires are most likely to start, according to the American Red Cross. There are ...
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast