View RSS Feed

Home Improvement, Remodeling

1. Your smart-home devices could be easy to hack. Here’s how to protect yourself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	home-security-system.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	11296

So your holiday gift was a new smart-home device. It could be Amazon's Echo, often called "Alexa," or Google Home using "Siri," which provide music, news updates and other information features; iRobot Roomba to clean your floors; the Ring doorbell, or a smart TV for voice-command video.

Maybe you're thrilled with your gift, or maybe you're a bit wary, given recent reports of cyberhacking of some devices. Internet-oriented devices ...
  2. How much does interior painting cost?

A fresh coat of paint can go a long way in transforming your space – and what better time to start than heading into a new year? Here's what you need to know to set your budget and complete a job well done.

Getting started

Painting the interior of a 2,000-square-foot house costs between $1,900 and $7,800. Wall height, designer paint and regional differences all play into the final price point, so be sure to communicate with your painting pro about your budget.
  3. How can I prevent a fire during the holidays?

Twinkling lights, a crackling fireplace, home-cooked meals with your favorite family and friends – there’s a lot to love about Thanksgiving and the holiday season. There are also precautions to take and necessary maintenance needed to keep you and your home safe, whether you’re playing host or spending some time away.

Careful cooking

The kitchen is the heart of the house. It’s also where home fires are most likely to start, according to the American Red Cross. There are ...
  4. How can I protect my electronics from surges?

Every day, power surges wipe out TVs, video games, phones, appliances and other electronic devices. Power surges have been around as long as electricity in homes, but they've become more of a concern in recent years, thanks to our increased use of electronics. Low-power devices with sensitive circuit boards, such as tablets or smartphones, are more vulnerable to a power surge than larger devices such as appliances. Here's how you can protect your electronics:

WHAT IS A SURGE?
  5. Home improvement, construction issues top list of worst complaints in 2018

Problems with home improvement and new-home construction topped the list of worst complaints received last year, according to a new report from the Consumer Federation of America.

The 2018 Consumer Complaint Survey Report looked at information related to 1.1 million complaints from agencies in 21 states. Home improvement and construction issues generated the second-most complaints in 2018, behind trouble related to vehicles.

The CFA asked the 35 state and local consumer ...
  6. How can I protect my home from burglary during vacation?

Home burglaries usually peak in late summer, when people are often away from home enjoying the outdoors or off on an extended vacation. But you can take some steps to protect your home and peace of mind while you're away.

HOME SECURITY SYSTEMS

If you don't already have a home security system, you can install one to warn you of intruders. The days of hardwired landlines are long gone; many security systems work with cellphones or internet connections. You can also link an ...
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast