View RSS Feed

Garden, Landscaping

1. How to handle emergency tree service

When storms roll in, damage trees and drop heavy branches in your lawn, you need to address the problem as quickly as possible. This is even more important if a storm-damaged tree poses an imminent threat to your home or property (or someone else's!)

Experts recommend you follow three steps when storms cause tree damage:

1. Make sure everyone in the house and around it is safe.

2. Contact your insurance company for guidance. Your agent can explain how your ...
    Categories
    Garden, Landscaping
  2. How should I protect my trees in summer?

Summer can be a dangerous time for trees. Although they’ve made it through winter snow and spring rains, summer storms can be sudden and harsh, and the wind and rain pose a serious threat to the trees in your yard.

In particular, a tree that’s already stressed by existing damage is vulnerable. Your best bet against this is a strong defense. Take stock of your trees now and seek out professional help if necessary.

Checking out your trees

Perform a self-inspection ...
    Categories
    Garden, Landscaping
  3. What goes into yard leveling?

Over time, you may notice changes in the levels of your yard and landscape. Sections of dirt may be worn down by erosion, water may pool in puddles in your lawn or you may have an area of depression that sinks and dips beneath the ground.

The solution to this and several other problems is to hire a pro to level your yard. This is also known as grading or resloping.

Erosion drainage is the most common cause for needing a regrade. Buried building materials, a sewer leak ...
    Categories
    Garden, Landscaping
  4. How much does it cost to install a pond?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	koi-pond.jpg 
Views:	8750 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	11338Few home luxuries beat the tranquility and beauty of a man-made pond in your yard. The cost to build an artificial pond averages $3,100. Most jobs range between $1,200 and $9,000.

The cost of homemade ponds varies by the type. For example, koi ponds and swimming lakes require different materials to function correctly. The least expensive style is the small garden pond for $50 and up, while bodies of water with practical functions like fishing cost much more. ...
    Categories
    Garden, Landscaping
  5. How can I make my own mulch?

Name:	mulch.jpg 
Views:	7458 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	11327

Laying mulch is a great way to give your plants a natural boost to keep them beautiful and healthy. If you're up for a DIY project, making your own mulch is more simple than you might think. In addition to being easy on your wallet, making your own mulch reduces waste by recycling resources you'd normally toss in the garbage bin. Just follow this simple, five-step process.

Choose what you'll turn into mulch.

Where you live and the time ...
    Categories
    Garden, Landscaping
  6. Should I install outdoor lighting?

Name:	outdoor_lighting.jpg 
Views:	23958 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	11222Just as you rely on a well-designed lighting plan inside your home, you should pay careful attention to how you illuminate the exterior. Outdoor lighting can ensure your family's safety, improve home security and enhance how you use the space.

DECORATIVE LIGHTING

Judicious use of outdoor decorative lights gives your home character. They can be used to highlight flower gardens, decorative architectural components and landscaping. Small, low-voltage ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast