View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Defining Fine Furniture: Type of Wood

Similar to the term American Made Furniture, there's no standard definition for "fine furniture". But a customer brought this up yesterday so I thought I'd take a shot at it. At Vermont Woods Studios we specialize in fine wood furniture, rather than upholstered furniture so I'll keep the discussion confined to that. This may seem odd, but I'm going to put style aside for another subject because I think each creative woodworker has his or her own ideas about style. Naturally there ...
    Categories
    Furniture
  2. Making America Great Again: Collaboration vs Competition

In my mind, green businesses are our best chance to make America great again. NGOs (non-governmental organizations) are effective in many ways but they have to be funded by either government or business. Governments (both state and local) are so big, and bulky and fickle. They can help, but they're not really providing much leadership these days, are they? So it seems to me the burden of leading an American renaissance rests squarely on the broad shoulders of business. In Vermont, businesses ...
    Categories
    Furniture
  3. Fine Furniture Definitions: Craftsmanship

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6a00d83452272669e20154385a2703970c-300wi.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	1464The other day I noted that a customer asked us for a definition of "fine furniture" and since we could find no real consensus out there I decided to put out-- well-- yet another opinion, actually. My first post was about the type of wood used for fine furniture. I think the next aspect ought to be about craftsmanship. I found this video by Brent and Derek Karner and their craftspeople at Clear Lake Furniture in Ludlow, VT. It's really a great illustration ...
    Categories
    Furniture
  4. Defining Fine Furniture: Finish

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6a00d83452272669e20162fde6db4b970d.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	1463So far, in an effort to define "fine furniture" we've discussed craftsmanship and the type of wood used, so now let's talk about finish. One thing most people are surprised to learn is that even though a piece of fine furniture is crafted and assembled it's a long way from being finished.

I like the way Vermont furniture maker, Bob Gasperetti of Mount Tabor puts it: "The saying that it takes 90% of the time to accomplish the last 10% of ...
    Categories
    Furniture
  5. The Comfort Recliner by American Leather.

Introducing the new line of recliners from American Leather, the Comfort Recliner series!

TAKE YOUR RELAXATION SERIOUSLY.
    We know you love recliners, just not everything about them. So our award-winning engineers embarked on a two-year mission to create the ultimate in relaxation. We’re proud to bring you the American Leather® Comfort Recliner™ featuring a personal, infinite-position system that adjusts to your exact comfort needs. The Infinity System features a back and ...
  6. Leonards

For over 60 years, Leonards has restored the finest antiques.
    Altering or repairing antique beds is a staple of the business. As a result, on any given day, a visitor will observe a steady stream of bedposts, rails and headboards flowing through the workshop where craftsmen adapt them to accept modern queen and king bedding.
    First, our craftsmen painstakingly select the finest materials to use. They then match woods and use the same hand-cut mortise and tenon joinery as ...