View RSS Feed

Home Improvement, Remodeling

1. What should I do after a flood?

Whether it’s caused by a late spring rain, a broken water main or a backup from some other cause entirely, a flood in your house can be destructive and expensive to repair. How you react immediately following a flood is critical. The steps you take in the minutes and hours after the water starts flowing can make a big difference in hassle, cost and personal safety. Here are some steps to take as quickly as possible to minimize the damage, the cost and the headaches.

1. Shut off your ...
  2. What summer projects should I plan ahead for?

The warmer months offer the ideal environment for outdoor work! Because of this, many professionals get booked up quickly. Think about these top summer home improvement projects, and call your pro before they get too busy.

Repair or replace your roof: $350-$1,500 to repair; $5,400-$12,000 to replace

Many roof repairs are best done during the summer, which may make it hard to find a pro this time of year. Still, if your roof needs fixing, this is the right time to do it. ...
  3. The Value of an Outdoor Living Space

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	home.jpg 
Views:	943 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	11426
    Creating natural, relaxing and functional areas in your yard will add a new dimension to your home and increase its resale value.

In Manitoba, people generally enjoy spending time outdoors in the warmer months and are attracted to the idea of having a beautiful outdoor living space. Not only will an outdoor living area enhance your own personal enjoyment of your yard, it will also give you an advantage if you decide to sell.

Outdoor ...
  4. Is a home inspection still important?

In today’s red-hot housing market, some buyers are offering to skip the home inspection to make their offer more attractive. And with so much competition, some sellers are even asking buyers to do so.

With many buyers chasing after fewer homes, it might be tempting to skip this step to become the winning bid. But you could pay a big price for that oversight, and an inspection is usually worth the risk of losing of losing the house to avoid potential financial and structural nightmares ...
  5. How should I stain and seal my deck?

Your deck represents a sizable investment in your home, so regular maintenance is essential to keep it in good repair. If your deck is made from composite materials, it should last decades with basic cleaning, but if your deck is built from wood, it needs to be stained and sealed every few years for optimal long-term performance.

Even the best-quality stain and sealant will eventually wear away under outdoor conditions, and once sealant wears away, your wood is at the mercy of the ...
  6. How can I improve my energy efficiency?

The period following Earth Day is a great time to think about the impact our homes have on the environment. But beyond lowering your environmental impact, increasing your home’s efficiency will also increase your comfort, lower energy bills and improve your home’s value— all at once! Here are five quick tips to make your home a model of efficiency.

Protect south-facing windows

The biggest impact on your home’s heat level in the summer comes from the south, where sunlight ...
Page 11 of 127 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast