View RSS Feed

Olga

10 affordable dorm DIY projects

Rate this Entry
Name:  college_dorm.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  27.6 KB

When it comes to dorm rooms, it's OK to live large even if a space is relatively small. Each year thousands of students arrive on campus with newfound freedom to decorate their own space to reflect their personality and taste.

Here are some of my top tips for how to design a dorm room on a dime in style.

1. CREATE AN INSTANT WALL 'MURAL'

Even though it may be someone else's dorm room next semester, there is nothing wrong with infusing a little bit of your own personality while the room is yours. While painting is an affordable and easy way to add temporary color and personality, removable wall stickers are one of the hottest trends in wall decor right now. From basic designs to the elaborate, they can be the design highlight of any dorm room.

Instructions:

1. Paint wall a solid color or leave white if you prefer

2. Purchase affordable wall stickers

3. Peel and place forming your desired design!

2. MAKE YOUR OWN STUDY DESK

While I am sure your dorm room will come with its own desk, create a study area to reflect your own design taste and personality. From refinishing a desk purchased at a thrift store to painting or lacquering a raw piece of wood and placing in on a decorative base, there are lots of ways to jazz up study time.

Instructions:

1. Purchase a wooden desk at a thrift store or flea market (or plain piece of wood such as a door slab) and trestle leg bottom (if using)

2. Sand off the existing finish using a rough sandpaper

3. Paint desk all over using a high quality paint primer

4. Paint desk using a high quality paint in an eggshell finish (a little sheen will help enhance the look of your finished piece)

5. Replace hardware if desired

3. NO-SEW CURTAIN PANELS (PERFECT FOR CREATING PRIVACY)

This is one of my most favorite DIY projects ever! Grab some affordable fabric and some fusing tape and you are good to go. All you need is a hot iron to fuse the seams together.

Instructions:

1. Purchase fabric double the width of your enclosure opening

2. Purchase a grommet gun (these both punch holes and insert grommets)

3. Fold your fabric on the bottom at the desired length; add tiny weights if desired

4. Place fusing table in between your hem

5. Use a steam iron (on steam setting) and place on top of hem, causing the fusion tape to melt and create your closed hem

4. AFFORDABLE TOSS PILLOWS

Toss pillows are relatively affordable and the right pattern and or color can really add impact to a space. If you want a budget, craft-friendly idea, why not make toss pillows from affordable scarves?

Instructions:

1. Take two scarves of equal size

2. Face your scarves toward each other with the side you want to expose on the inside

3. Place fusion tape around three sides

4. Use a steam iron (on steam setting) and place on top of hem, causing the fusion tape to melt and create your closed hem

5. Stuff your pillow with batting or with a down insert

6. Close the fourth side by hand using a hand stitch

5. DECORATE USED BOOKS WITH COLORFUL HARDCOVERS OR DECORATIVE PAPER

Not sure what to do with those books from last semester? Covering hardcover books with beautiful printed or decorative patterned paper is a great way to display books and incorporate a decorative element into your decor at the same time. The idea behind this tip is to use old books as a decorative item.

Instructions:

1. Take an old hardcover book

2. Fold a piece of decorative paper the same length and width as the book when extended

3. Fold paper along edges of book

4. Cover book

6. PLACE TREASURED ITEMS IN SHADOW BOXES

Shadow boxes are such a beautiful way to display mementos and even items you may have thought about packing away for good. Postcards, treasured photos, ticket stubs, etc., all work well with multi-dimensional items such as buttons, coins, souvenirs and mementos.

Instructions:

1. Purchase frames with an inset at least 1 inch deep

2. Open the frame, leaving the original matting in place

3. Place your decorative items in the center of the frame (on paper within the borders of the matting)

4. Adhere decorate items to paper using a glue gun

5. Close frame

7. MAKE INSTANT AFFORDABLE ARTWORK WITH FRAMED WALLPAPER

Today, wallpaper isn't what you might remember from childhood. Prints are bold, colorful and in many cases textured. Nearly all retailers that sell wallpaper allow potential buyers to take home free samples. The sample sizes are usually always substantial in size and perfect for framing.

Instructions:

1. Purchase an affordable frame

2. Take a piece of sample wallpaper

3. Frame wallpaper

4. Hang

8. FRAME PIECES OF FABRIC

When it comes to affordable/instant artwork, this tops my list. The beauty of fabric is you can buy it by the yard. Can't paint? Why not buy yards of printed fabric and stretch it over a frame made of plywood? The result is a colorful print. You can also frame smaller pieces to hang.

Instructions:

1. Purchase an affordable frame

2. Take a piece of fabric

3. Cut to size

4. Frame fabric

5. Hang

9. MAKE A CREATIVE NOTE/TACK BOARD

Whether it's a way to post a visual reminder about an upcoming test or leave a note for your roommate that it's time for them to do the laundry, tack boards are functional and a staple of any organized dorm room.

Instructions:

1. Purchase an existing cork board

2. Wrap cork board with batting

3. Cover in a bright, bold fabric

4. Criss-cross your favorite ribbon using an alternating pattern

5. Add upholstery tack pins

6. Hang

10. ORGANIZE!

Dorm rooms can get cluttered and messy in a hurry. That's why it's important whenever possible to create sensible storage solutions so everything stays organized and accessible.

When it comes to organization, in addition to new items, I prefer using/repurposing ordinary household items into wonderful and useful organizational tools.

BEST DIY ORGANIZING ITEMS

- A drawer utensil divider to organize jewelry

- Kitchen cabinets in a home office

- A multi-drawer tool box. I use the ones I buy to organize everything from office supplies to makeup

- Huggable hangers. I love them! They reduce space and keep your closet orderly

- Clear bins. Put out-of-season items or those you don't use very often in clear bins and then label with a marker, or photo that helps you identify what's inside

- Erasable boards. They come in all sizes and you can also purchase erasable labels. I believe effective labeling is the key to effective storage and organization

Submit "10 affordable dorm DIY projects" to Digg Submit "10 affordable dorm DIY projects" to del.icio.us Submit "10 affordable dorm DIY projects" to StumbleUpon Submit "10 affordable dorm DIY projects" to Google Submit "10 affordable dorm DIY projects" to Facebook Submit "10 affordable dorm DIY projects" to Twitter

Categories
Home Decor

Comments

Leave Comment Leave Comment