View RSS Feed

Annhoge

Dust mites: What are they and what do I need to worry about?

Rate this Entry
For most of us, keeping our homes clean is something that we take very seriously, after all, there are surface cleaners on the market that offer to kill as much as 99.9% of bacteria. After all, our homes are our sanctuary, the place we should feel safest of all, from dust and allergens, to strangers and danger.

But what else do we need to worry about when it comes to our home hygiene? Cockroaches, bed bugs and maggots will generally only appear in the worst of conditions and require very specific management (as well as a big clean up). There are, however, organisms such as Dust Mites that we live with on a daily basis but that can affect our health.

So, what are they?

House Dust Mites are tiny micro-organisms that cannot be seen by the naked eye. They live in our homes, particularly in carpets, soft furnishings and our bedding, and they feed on the dead skin cells that we shed every day.

There are actually 47 different species of Dust Mite, the most common being Dermatophagoides Pteronyssinus. These 0.2-millimetre bugs thrive in the warm and humid conditions of our homes and are the cause of allergic Rhinitis.

It is not the mites themselves that we can become allergic to, interestingly but their waste. House Dust Mites can produce up to 200 times their body weight in waste having gorged themselves on your expelled skin cells.

They’re in my bed?

Sadly, yes, but then that’s not surprising when you realise just how much time we spend lying in our beds surrounded by lovely, soft and homely fabrics; perfect for Dust Mites.

Luckily, there are ways that you can minimise the risk of being affected by an allergic reaction to House Dust Mites, and here are 3 top tips to a mite free home.

Wash, wash and wash again

It’s important for all kinds of reasons to keep your bed linen washed on a regular basis but none more so than to keep Dust Mites at bay. Similarly, you should wash soft furnishings; curtains, cushions and rugs for example, as often as you can.

For those with carpets, vacuuming is an essential part of the cleaning routine for controlling any Mites. A regular sweep with the hoover will such up as much of the bugs and their food source as possible.

Keeping your home cool and dry will also help reduce the risk of House Mites thriving. The Mites enjoy a cosy, warm and humid environment so by turning down the thermostat you can reduce the risk of their appearance (as well as saving money on your heating bills!)

For more information, including medicinal advice for those who may suffer with House Mite allergies, you can visit Klarify Me, here - https://uk.klarify.me/

Submit "Dust mites: What are they and what do I need to worry about?" to Digg Submit "Dust mites: What are they and what do I need to worry about?" to del.icio.us Submit "Dust mites: What are they and what do I need to worry about?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Dust mites: What are they and what do I need to worry about?" to Google Submit "Dust mites: What are they and what do I need to worry about?" to Facebook Submit "Dust mites: What are they and what do I need to worry about?" to Twitter

Categories
Living

Comments

Leave Comment Leave Comment