View RSS Feed

Olga

How can I keep a new baby safe in my home?

Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
If you're welcoming a new baby to the family, you may be wondering what you can do to keep the little one safe at home. Whether this is your first baby or your fifth grandchild, there are lots of things you can do to keep your family's pride and joy happy and healthy as they grow.

Test for toxins

When was the last time you tested the air quality in your home? You may have locked up harmful cleaning chemicals, but you should also test for levels of mold, radon, lead and other contaminants that may be present in your house. Research indoor air quality inspectors near you, and keep in mind that many heating, venting and air conditioning (HVAC) pros have the proper certification to get the job done.

Install safety devices

From anti-scald devices to corner bumpers, there's a seemingly endless myriad of safety devices you can install in your home. Where should you begin? Make sure to keep fresh batteries in your carbon monoxide and smoke alarms, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Also, purchase safety locks for cabinets with harmful items inside, and use safety gates to keep children from going where they shouldn't. Window guards, outlet covers and cordless window coverings can also help ensure your child's safety, the CPSC says. If you need help implementing these devices, call a local handyman. Homeowners typically pay between $60 and $65 per hour for this type of work.

Opt for a central vacuum

Before you know it, your new bundle of joy will be crawling all over the floor. A central vacuum is an all-encompassing way to get rid of dirt, pet food or anything else that could end up in his or her mouth. It's also a way to control allergens like dust mites, mold, pollen and animal dander. The American Cleaning Institute recommends regularly dusting and vacuuming to cut down on the presence of these allergens. Plus, even though a central vacuum is louder than a normal vacuum, it's usually located downstairs – far enough way to let baby keep sleeping soundly.

Start a cleaning routine

Anyone who's been around a toddler for more than five minutes knows a sparkling kitchen or spotless foyer is basically impossible to maintain, but it can be difficult to keep things in order with a newborn, too. Structured cleaning at home removes germs and promotes wellness in your home. If you need help with this, hiring a professional is always an option. Maid services cost an average of $170.

Create a playroom

The playroom doesn't have to be just for your little one – it can be a ton of fun for you, too. As the baby grows, start to establish or update their play place. Flex your interior design skills with wallpaper that transforms the room into a jungle, or make things comfortable with a big squishy chair for reading time. The only limit to a playroom is your imagination. If you're an experience DIYer, it's a fun project. If you need help, a pro can help you tweak the lighting or splash on a fresh new coat of paint.

Submit "How can I keep a new baby safe in my home?" to Digg Submit "How can I keep a new baby safe in my home?" to del.icio.us Submit "How can I keep a new baby safe in my home?" to StumbleUpon Submit "How can I keep a new baby safe in my home?" to Google Submit "How can I keep a new baby safe in my home?" to Facebook Submit "How can I keep a new baby safe in my home?" to Twitter

Comments

Leave Comment Leave Comment