View RSS Feed

home improvement guy

Should I get my roof inspected?

Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
The cold of winter and the rains of spring both take their toll on your roof. It’s a good idea to get your roof inspected at least once every few years. Experts say the most ideal time is during either spring or fall. This allows a professional to assess the problems caused by the previous season and prepare for the upcoming changes in weather.

Regular inspections also allow your contractor to catch small problems before they become big problems. And where roofing is concerned, big problems can become very expensive big problems if not caught before they start leaking.

Roofing pros see their schedules begin to fill up early in the spring, so it’s a good idea to call someone sooner rather than later. Expect to pay around $200 for this service.

What to expect from a roofing inspection

A roof inspection can be done in a single day. Here are elements a reputable roofing professional should always address:

- Overall appearance of the roof, both exterior and interior.

- Going into the attic to look for moisture or mold and check for proper insulation and ventilation.

- Evidence of ceiling cracks and leaks.

- Condition of fascia, gutters and drains, skylights, chimneys and vents.

- Curled, broken or missing shingles.

- Areas where water may collect, like roof valleys.

- Damaged or missing flashing points.

Your region will affect your inspector’s areas of emphasis. Areas with frequent storms need to be inspected for potential blow-off and roof strength. More humid climates call for an emphasis on potential moisture damage.

The inspector should provide you with a written report within seven days that includes both photos and written descriptions of their findings, the overall condition of the roof, and itemized recommendations for potential repairs.

When hiring a roofing inspector, make sure they have experience with your particular type of roof. Different roofing materials can call for very different qualifications. Make sure they hold the proper license, bonding and insurance to work in your area. Insurance is always vital, but it’s particularly important with professionals who work on jobs where there’s a fall risk.

Don’t be afraid to ask for written proof of licensing and insurance, and to check it yourself. A reputable professional will always welcome such scrutiny of their qualifications.

Performing a self-inspection

You can also perform a self-inspection in between professional inspections to gauge the condition of your roof. If you do this, invest in high-quality fall protection equipment so you can stay safe while on the roof.

Look for these elements while self-inspecting:

- Integrity of shingles and flashing around pipes, chimneys and vents. Pay attention to soft spots and missing, broken or worn shingles.

- The quality of the gutter system. It should be attached properly and free of debris.

- Your home’s interior. Closely inspect top-floor walls and ceilings for leaks or stains. Check the attic for wet spots or rotting wood.

Submit "Should I get my roof inspected?" to Digg Submit "Should I get my roof inspected?" to del.icio.us Submit "Should I get my roof inspected?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Should I get my roof inspected?" to Google Submit "Should I get my roof inspected?" to Facebook Submit "Should I get my roof inspected?" to Twitter

Comments

Leave Comment Leave Comment