View RSS Feed

Hickory Chair

A Moment In Time - My Mother's Dining Room Set

Rate this Entry

Recently Paul White contacted Hickory Chair eager to learn more about his Mother's dining room set. He mentioned that recently his Mother passed and one of the things she left him was her antique Hickory Chair dining room set. All 6 chairs have a paper (stuck on with the original stain) '' Hickory Chair Manufacturing Hickory N.C'' Underneath the table there is a black ink stamp that reads 1923.

As we reviewed the pictures that he sent to us we realized that these were styles that pre-dated our earliest catalog which was published in 1930 approximately. (Someone had written 1930 on the cover). Paul unknowingly gave us a new chapter in our history. We asked permission to share his story and the pictures and were thrilled when he agreed!
He asked that we "let people know as you can see in the photos this furniture has always and still is in use and remains in perfect condition. My mother loved this set of furniture. In trying to identify the set, I have an offer of a trade from a local furnituIe company. This set for the best 3 pc. new set they have? Unfortunately Mom's home is being sold and I do not have a dining room in mine and the set will have to find a new home would you know anyone who would be interested, I have no idea what it would be worth. Would you or anyone who works there know a possible value?" Establishing a value is very difficult. A local antiques dealer is really best prepared to establish a value for your area.

Paul's Mother took very good care of her Hickory Chair dining room set from the 1920's. Pieces like these are made by hand in our Hickory, North Carolina workroom. The quality of the materials and assembly have resulted in heirlooms for future generations. One could ascertain that they are sustainable... too good to be taken to the landfill... ready to be recycled to another family to cherish. Today we continue this commitment to quality of design and construction. It is our mission to make pieces to order and made to last.
We love receiving pictures of pieces we made over the past 100 years. We hope you will share your piece of Hickory Chair history with us. If you have pieces or catalogs from our first 50 years to share, please email us at press@hickorychair.com.

Submit "A Moment In Time - My Mother's Dining Room Set" to Digg Submit "A Moment In Time - My Mother's Dining Room Set" to del.icio.us Submit "A Moment In Time - My Mother's Dining Room Set" to StumbleUpon Submit "A Moment In Time - My Mother's Dining Room Set" to Google Submit "A Moment In Time - My Mother's Dining Room Set" to Facebook Submit "A Moment In Time - My Mother's Dining Room Set" to Twitter

Comments

Leave Comment Leave Comment