My passion for rustic furniture construction began in 1999, when I found myself without access to a woodshop, but with a continuing passion to build furniture. I had recently inherited several old hand tools, and was anxious to put them to the test. I built myself a shaving horse (a traditional wood shaping bench), and I began collecting local woods, which I worked up into rustic furniture for friends and family.
I soon developed an intense passion for all aspects of rustic furniture creation. I have graciously been granted access to several local ranches, where I cut madrone, manzanita and eucalyptus, which are destined for the bulldozer or chainsaw. I also work with local orchardists and sawyers and have obtained a supply of local wood slabs from trees that were being removed.
After curing this wood for a year or more, I work it up into the furniture that you see here. Each piece of furniture is unique, and incorporates the bends and curves seen in our local woodlands here on the central coast of California. This furniture is as strong as any available. Joints are typically of mortise and tenon construction, with further strengthening provided by hidden pins and screws.
My portfolio reflects a cross section of my current work. I am available to walk clients through the furniture design process, and I welcome your inquiries and questions. I also have tables, platters, and other furniture for sale at the Lone Madrone Winery, located at 2485 Highway 46 West, Paso Robles CA 93446. The Lone Madrone tasting room is located in Paso Robles at the old site of Sycamore Farms, 2.5 miles west of Hwy 101 on Hwy 46 West. Slow down as you approach the sign, as the driveway comes up quickly!
There are some works for sale at the Shadow Canyon Cellars tasting room, located in Downtown San Luis Obispo, on the corner of Osos St and Monterey St. Two blocks up from the mission.
Both venues serve exceptional wines!! Enjoy!!!

www.dovercanyonrustic.com