BigMoon wants to create details for your company from the ground up, whether your business is looking for furnishing, free standing furniture or architectural detailing, BigMoon can create something unique and customized.
BigMoon specializes in resort detailing. If you can dream it, BigMoon can create it. Count on us to create the perfect fit for any atmosphere.
Add beauty and elegance to your business at an affordable price. Imagine your logo or design on a mosaic floor medallion. Easy to install and assembled on backing for ship anywhere, this addition will create a lasting impression for your company.

It was a day like many others as I drove west to the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. I had made this trip to the forest many times during the years that I had been building rustic furniture. It was a typical cloudy morning in late September when the first signs of winter appear and a shiver runs through your body as you slowly begin to acclimatize to the hints of the cold season ahead. I was taken by suprise when the weather report predicted the day's high temperature would remain below the freezing mark, and even more suprised when snow began to appear along the sides of the road. Somewhat unprepared, I nonetheless decided to carry on with my planned day of cutting wood. After a couple of hours of travel, I arrived at one of my favorite willow bogs. Disembarking from my trusty,four-wheeled steed, I shivered as I pulled on my rubber boots and trekked into the bush. The forest was coated in ice, with a light dusting of snow. Apparently Mother Nature was as unprepared for the drop in temperature as I was. From the path I could see a clearing in the distance, where a doe and fawn grazed in the tall grass, oblivious to my presence.

Within a few minutes I was busy with my wood-cutting, and my shivers turned to sweat as I felled large willow stocks with a handsaw. The gray serenity of the sheltered willow patch was suddenly shattered by the sun as it broke through the clouds and istantly raised the temperature the few degrees necessary to liberate the forest from winter's icy grip. In that startling moment, the solid water was transfromed into liquid and I was caught in the shower that fell from the treetops, soaking me instantly from head to rubber boots. Rather than get upset at this turn of events, I paused to enjoy the moment, and regarded my sopping garments as a small price to pay for the privilege of witnessing an instantaneous change in season.Over the previous few years I had slowly come to the realization that my time spent as a lumberjack was my favorite part of building rustic furniture. What had begun as a difficult chore was now something I looked forward to. I finally understood that perhaps it was a longing to relate to Nature that had started my obsession with all things rustic. It was a seminal moment;I experienced a transformation so profoundly subtle that it took my breath away. Within a few seconds winter had changed back into fall. I stood, soaking wet, in awe of Nature's diverse splendor. The forest had engulfed me, surrounded me, and treated me like any other creature who enters its majesty. All of these events brought me to the realization that I was now connected in the most humbling way to the natural environment, as I had wanted so many years before when I began my career as a underwoodsman. I was amazed by my place in the world, and revelled in my own smallness. Mother Nature had shown me that like that deer I would come and go, leaving nothing for the annals of time to savor. I was filled, as I had been once standing at the presipice of the Grand Cayon, with an overwhelming illustration of my insignificance. From this perspective, I was now able to truly appreciate the value of Nature: its diversity, randomness, and a magical allure.

I was filled, as I had been once standing at the presipice of the Grand Cayon, with an overwhelming illustration of my insignificance. From this perspective, I was now able to truly appreciate the value of Nature: its diversity, randomness, and a magical allure.Rambling through the bush has granted me astonishing insights to an amazing world: beaver dams, bird nests, and spider webs built by living creatures and engineered to the highest possible standards, with an efficiency and simplicity that humans could never achieve. Some of the other joys of the woods include the smells, sounds, and sights of the forest, such as the unexpected joy of stumbling across a beautiful wildfllower in full bloom, sighting a truly wild animal, or more exciting yet, the realization that a wild creature has spotted you. I cam to the world of building rustic furniture completely by accident. While wroking as a newspaper photographer, I chanced upon a bent willow chair at a botanical garden where I had been sent to take some pictures of a new butterfly exhibit. I thought the chair was curious; I had never seen anything like it. I took a few pictures of the chairand then thought no more about it. Several years later I discovered a friend was making furniture in the same style. She taught me how to make the basic chair, and from there my hobby turned into an obsession and a livelihood. I never planned to change careers;the joy and satisfaction of building things are a lot like the creativity of taking photographs, but I felt drawn to explore the woods. The more involved I got, the further into the woods I ventured. There, I found the most complex, diverse, and aweinspiring network of creatures and plants in a world that I knew existed, but hadn't bothered to explore in the way I approached life, and in that change I found a place between the raw materials provided by the Earth and the world we humans have fashioned. I simplified my life and work, and unwittingly found that by opening my eyes and mind to the possibilities inherent in Nature, each dayhas the potential to become a unique experience, full of learning.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
780 488-8227
www.bigmoonfurniture.com