Tastes vary from kitchen to kitchen, and not only in terms of palates.
Mixing interior design preference with individual need or desire is no easy recipe when it comes to selecting dining furniture.
Richard Friedman of Royal Dinettes, Perth Amboy, is confident he can cater to any wish. That's because the family-owned business offers a wide range of styles and sizes in kitchen sets and casual and formal dining room furniture. The store also offers consumers custom service in the areas of original furniture design and reupholstery.

The business was established 57 years ago, in Perth Amboy, by Richard's parents, Erwin and Fritzi Friedman. They maintained a 2000 sq. ft. store at 225 Smith Street for 30 years. At the present time, we are located at 351 Smith Street in a 4000 sq. ft. store, where we have been for 27 years.
After having been widowed over 30 years ago, the late Mrs. Friedman maintained an active involvement in the business, which is now operated by second generation family members. Sons Richard and Howard operate Royal Dinettes with pride and determination to maintain the integrity upon which Mrs. Friedman built the business.
Richard Friedman, who remembers taking reupholstery orders at the age of 9, has witnessed a change in the dining furniture business over the years. In addition to the trend in casual dining, he said the accommodations in townhouses and condominiums have had an effect.
In fact, he noted that the need to offer consumers items such as pub tables, bars and stools as a factor in the latest relocation. The new shop offers 4,000 square feet of space, filled with a full line of casual dining sets in contemporary, country and traditional styles. Royal Dinettes also offers dining furniture ranging in sizes from bistro sets for apartment dwellers to formal dining room furniture.
Should a shopper desire something to meet special needs, Richard said, "That can be accomplished through the customized service section. The shop designs such things as counter tops and breakfast nooks, in addition to the reupholstery provisions".
Changing consumer needs have resulted in the diversification of services at Royal Dinettes, he said, explaining that there has been an increase in customized work. Some consumers will bring layout sketches into the store for professional guidance in their selections.
Shoppers also are afforded a wide selection of fabrics and vinyls to help create a desired effect. People are finding that the kitchen has become a main gathering place in their homes.
Richard states, "I feel my satisfaction in my job is dealing with customers on a daily basis. Running a family business is a challenge, and I take pride in the family name. It's something my parents instilled in me".

351 Smith Street

Perth Amboy, NJ 08861
www.royaldinette.com