+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to Paint Wood Furniture

How to Paint Wood Furniture

Painting furniture involves sanding, priming and painting. Having the patience to apply a second coat of paint, will reward you with a better-looking, longer-lasting finish. Painting wood furniture is very easy to do yourself, just follow the steps below.Make sure there's no chance that your piece of furniture is an antique whose value could be destroyed by changing the finish.

The first order of business is, of course, sanding. Don’t be tempted to skip this step…proper sanding will ensure an even, smooth finish that is not prone to chipping. Once you’ve finished sanding, it’s important to remove all the dust, as residual dust will keep the paint and primer from sticking. Once your piece is all clean, you’re going to need to prime it. I prefer to use a spray primer, as it usually gives a neater, thinner coat than a brush-on primer does. After that do the painting.

Thanks for sharing useful information with us.

Quote Originally Posted by jackflaming View Post
    The first order of business is, of course, sanding. Don’t be tempted to skip this step…proper sanding will ensure an even, smooth finish that is not prone to chipping. Once you’ve finished sanding, it’s important to remove all the dust, as residual dust will keep the paint and primer from sticking. Once your piece is all clean, you’re going to need to prime it. I prefer to use a spray primer, as it usually gives a neater, thinner coat than a brush-on primer does. After that do the painting.

I have also found that when you’re painting a large, flat section (like the top of a dresser), it’s best to use long strokes that cover the entire length of the piece. This will help to ensure a smooth finish with an even gloss.This paint dries very quickly, so by the time you’ve put a coat of paint on the entire piece of furniture

Before you paint wooden furniture, you should remove any existing paint first. Next, sand the furniture, and apply primer. Once dried, use a foam roller to coat the furniture in a thin layer of latex or other indoor paint. Then run a paintbrush over the surface of the furniture to smooth it out.

+ Reply to Thread