+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is cast iron still a good material choice for new bathroom remodeling jobs?

Is cast iron still a good material choice for new bathroom remodeling jobs?

My wife and I plan to stay at home but we want to change our bathtub for a walk-in shower stall.

I'm a larger man and enjoy the feeling of a very solid floor when I shower.

I'm thinking about staying with cast iron and would like your thoughts about installing a cast iron shower base with tile walls.

Is cast iron still a good material choice for new bathroom remodeling jobs?

Not only is cast iron still a good material choice for plumbing fixtures, it has also become known as a good green building material because most cast iron contains recycled materials.

Another advantage with a cast iron shower base is that you can have that heavy-duty solid feeling shower floor without going through the traditional work of installing a custom shower pan with concrete and tile.

Cast iron resists chipping, bending and cracking, and many manufacturers now include shower base sizes to fit the space of a standard bathtub.

On top of all that, there are now many color and style choices as well. Remember, it is called "cast iron," so depending on the shower base size it can be a heavy/bulky material to move into the bathroom area.

Bottom line: You can cast your fears into the wind if you choose cast iron for your shower base.

+ Reply to Thread