+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should property owner sign a release of liability form?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Should property owner sign a release of liability form?

I live in California. I fired my contractor over shoddy work and now he wants me to sign a release of liability.

I've already paid him all he was owed.

Am I also required to sign a liability release?

There is absolutely no requirement to sign a liability release form, and experts strongly recommend against it.

In fact, in California, a property owner is not required to sign a release of liability form and should not do so if there is a concern about workmanship or other contractual issues.

The property owner should consider filing a complaint with CSLB.

Consumers in other states decline to sign liability releases and, if work was shoddy, file a complaint with their state licensing board or attorney general's office.

A contractor fired for substandard work should remain liable for the work he did and was paid for. Similarly, any new contractor hired to complete the job should be held liable for the work he or she does.

This topic highlights how critical it is to do your homework before hiring someone to work on a remodeling project. Consider only contractors with positive reviews from consumers and who can provide references. Confirm that the contractor is appropriately licensed, insured and bonded.

A detailed contract is key to a successful project. Be sure to have a written document, signed by both parties, that details all pertinent aspects, from the types of materials used to construction site cleanup. The contract should spell out work and payment timelines, and payments should be timed to project milestones. Also, a contract should establish a process for job changes or additions, penalties for missed deadlines and reasons the contract can be terminated.

+ Reply to Thread