+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radon gas

Radon gas

I've heard of radon but I don't really know what it is.

What is radon gas, and how do I know if it's in my home?

Radon is a known carcinogen. The gas is undetectable by sight, smell or taste. Radon is a by-product of the natural, radioactive decay of uranium in soils and rocks and can sometimes be found in well water. The gas is naturally found in the air we breathe, but can also enter a home or building through drains, cracks or holes in the foundation or basement.

The radon gas can then become trapped inside the home or building and build up to dangerous levels. Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer deaths among non-smokers in the U.S. and claims the lives of about 21,000 in the U.S. each year per EPA estimates. Radon is measured in picocuries per liter of air represented as "pCi/L." The average concentration of radon in outdoor air is 0.4 pCi/L, but the radon levels inside a home that are 4.0 pCi/L or higher should be mitigated.

Mitigation is usually done by sub-slab or foundation ventilation using vent piping and powered, in-line fans and sealing cracks, but the method of mitigation should be determined by a certified radon mitigator. The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) has designated January as National Radon Action Month and recommends that all homes, whether old or new, be tested for radon.

Do-it-yourself test kits are available at major home and hardware stores or can be ordered online, although a test by a certified radon professional using an active or continuous radon monitor can give you results in as little as 48 hours and can be much more precise.

For more information on the risks of radon, visit epa.gov/radon.

Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas. It’s found in soil, rock, and even water as the breakdown of uranium. When uranium is broken down, it’s released into the air and can build up, causing critical long-term health effects. When radon gas enters the body, it exposes the lungs to small amounts of radiation, experts say this is harmless. Testing is the only way to determine how much radon is present in your home. It may also necessary to consult proper authorities to seek advice or to have an idea about the radon level in the place. It is not a single person’s concern but every body's business.

+ Reply to Thread