Hello! I am new here and this is my first post! My name is Josh, and I am working on an old drop leaf table. I was asked by a neighbor, about 8 years ago, if I wanted this table or else she was going to take it to the dump. I didnt really think anything of it, I was also moving out and I had some extra room in the moving truck, so I packed it up in there and hauled it across the country, where I deposited it into a storage unit and there it sat for 8 years.

Until about 3 weeks ago. I bought an old house, and the table I pulled out of storage had been damaged. Swollen pressure board garbage. I remembered that old table the neighbor gave me. Heck, I'd never really took the time to look at it. It was in bad shape. I couldn't count on all my fingers how any times that table came close to becoming firewood. I had just finished reworking an old dresser, my sander was still out, I suppose I could bring the table home and at least have a closer look at it, do some sanding, or at least wipe it down, clean it up..... at least.....

So, I did. I wiped it. Then I sampled some sanding. And that's when I knew what had to be done. This table deserved another lease on life. It was gorgeous!!

The table is wood, sandwiched between veneer, so I carefully sanded the whole top. I had to. It was in bad bad shape. And when I wiped away tjay sawdust I was blown away at this tables beauty!

I joined this forum to not only share my experience with this project, but also for education. And I have questions. I am, by no means whatsoever, a wood guy. As a matter of fact, I'm a more of a video gamer. But I have always had interest in old things, and once I get into a project, I'm 150% in.

I've got a chair stripped, I've got one halfways hand-sanded, I've started reupholstering some of the chairs, I've got the table sanded and the sides stripped.

I do have a question right off the bat. What kind of wood am i working with?

I havnt checked whether I am able to post photos but if I can, i will. If i have posted in the wrong spot, please direct me to the correct one. I hope to learn from everyone and have a good time here!

Thank you for reading and enjoy Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220806_093309.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	11563
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220806_093320.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	11564
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220806_093358.jpg 
Views:	55