View RSS Feed

Home Improvement, Remodeling

1. Check Out These Easy Ways to Prepare Your Garage for Summer

Summer is getting closer and that means preparing your garage for it should be one of your top priorities when it comes to house maintenance. You don’t want fixing up your garage in the middle of July, as you will almost certainly give up due to the heat that is almost always present in garages at that time of the year. For that reason, here are a couple of tips you can follow in order to prepare your garage for summer successfully, so you don’t have to hassle with anything unnecessary when the ...
  2. How can I minimize water damage?

With the advent of spring and the rainy season, many parts of the country are heading into the wettest part of the year. Water damage — whether from rain, flooding or a plumbing leak — can be swiftly damaging and quite expensive. The average water damage restoration job costs about $3,100. Two efforts can save serious amounts of money: preventative maintenance and fast cleanup. Here’s a rundown of how to protect yourself.

Prevent the leaks

Your most effective tool against ...
  3. 3 Spring Renovation Ideas For Your Home

Do you hear that? It's the sweet sound of birds chirping in the morning and leaves gently rustling in the breeze because, at long last, spring is slowly settling itself in for the long haul. You can gradually begin to take the layers of coats, scarfs, sweaters, and hats off and open up a window or two. You can finally let some fresh air inside your home without risking a deep freeze in the living room.

It’s been a long winter — one that has been darker and lonelier than most. Now that ...
  4. Peeling paint

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peeling_Exterior_Paint.jpg 
Views:	9281 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	11414Peeling paint is a burr under the saddle of many homeowners, I’m afraid, and the causes are numerous.

The best way to understand why paint peels is to think about all of the things you have that do hold their paint without peeling. How about your car or truck, or your aluminum siding, gutters and downspouts? Even lawn mowers, snowblowers and other outdoor tools fall into that category. So does the outside of my 20-year-old house, which has fiber cement siding. ...
  5. How can I find a reliable pro?

So, let’s look at eight questions to ask when hiring a pro to make sure they take your home as seriously as you do.

1. What are my options?

Be sure to consider offers from multiple pros and understand what adjustments can be made to each before settling on one. Even if you’re in a hurry to finish a project, it’s worth it to take your time to do thorough research on potential pros. The cheapest option may ultimately cost more in damages or repairs, so if it sounds too good ...
  6. Maintain your home’s health through the years

When it comes to home-improvement projects on your house that’s coming of age, there’s no denying that your roof, windows, and air conditioning and heating units might be getting moody, temperamental or give you the silent treatment altogether.

As your home ages, it will require more upkeep and improvements. It’s especially important to stay on top of some of the more potentially troublesome elements of your home — ones that can cause you massive headaches and put a huge dent in your ...