View RSS Feed

Most Popular Blogs

1. Your smart-home devices could be easy to hack. Here’s how to protect yourself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	home-security-system.jpg 
Views:	1176 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	11296

So your holiday gift was a new smart-home device. It could be Amazon's Echo, often called "Alexa," or Google Home using "Siri," which provide music, news updates and other information features; iRobot Roomba to clean your floors; the Ring doorbell, or a smart TV for voice-command video.

Maybe you're thrilled with your gift, or maybe you're a bit wary, given recent reports of cyberhacking of some devices. Internet-oriented devices ...
  2. How can I brighten my home in winter?

Refreshed decor, comforting paint colors and thoughtful upgrades can add a layer of warmth and sunshine to your winter days. These are a few simple ways to spark joy throughout the next few months – for you and anyone else who steps inside your home.

Update your kitchen backsplash

A simple way to rejuvenate the heart of your house? A brand-new kitchen backsplash. The upgrade is both functional and stylistic, injecting personality and depth to one of your home's most highly ...
    Categories
    Home Decor
  3. How can I improve the lighting in my home?

Name:	lighting.jpg 
Views:	3773 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	11297Lighting is an important, yet often overlooked, design element that can impact the look and feel of your home.

Fortunately, it's also one of the easiest to update! Whether you're looking to add ambiance and task lighting – or simply to swap out a few outdated fixtures – these ideas will help to inspire lighting upgrades in every room.

Living room: Apart from the kitchen, there's perhaps nowhere else in your home more highly trafficked than ...
    Categories
    Lighting
  4. When is it time to replace my carpet?

Eventually, even the best-laid carpets must be replaced. While regular upkeep can increase your carpet's lifespan, most manufacturers estimate you'll need a full replacement after about 10 years. And the signs you need to start shopping around aren't always obvious. Here are a few ways you can tell your carpet is reaching the end.

Stains won't come out

Whether it's from spilled wine or a new puppy, there are some stubborn stains that even professional cleaning can't get ...
  5. Which paint colors create a relaxing space?

Name:	colors.jpg 
Views:	2080 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	11299Does seafoam green really evoke feelings of renewal? Can periwinkle blue actually lull you to sleep?

Interior designers have long thought that paint color can affect our emotions, and color psychology backs up the hunch.

Here’s a look at the swatches that cultivate a calm and relaxed environment throughout your home.

Soothing blues

From iceberg to deep navy, almost any shade of blue can convey a sense of tranquility ...
  6. How do I get rid of bad smells in my house?

Name:	bad smells in my house.jpg 
Views:	2624 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	11301Foul smells aren’t just unpleasant.

They can also signal unhealthy conditions, making it important to find and remove the source as soon as possible.

Whether your furry friends are wreaking havoc on your carpets or you’re catching a whiff of something musty and new, different odors can indicate whether you should sterilize things yourself or call in a professional.

1. Rinse your dishwasher

Eliminate odors and give ...
Page 53 of 87 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast