View RSS Feed

home improvement guy

How can I prep my deck for summer?

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Warm weather, fresh air, al fresco dining – an outdoor deck is one of the best places to gather the family and enjoy all that summer has to offer. But even the most well-constructed deck needs regular inspection and maintenance. While a wood deck requires the most attention, composite decks also need care and upkeep. Here's a look at how you can prep your deck for the season and keep it in tip-top shape for years to come.

Perform a self-inspection.

Experts recommend inspecting your deck for any issues at least once every year – keeping an eye out for loose boards and hardware, as well as signs of splintering and decay.

– Completely clear and clean the surface of your deck before inspection, taking care to sweep away any dirt and debris and remove any furniture and toys from the area.

– Carefully check all the nails, screws and other fasteners in your deck. You'll need to repair or tighten any fastener that is loose, corroded or rusted.

– Check the railings, banisters and stairs for stability. Are there any tripping hazards, like loose boards? Does the rail or banister move when you push against it? If so, you may want to have a pro to come out to repair it perform a through safety inspection.

– Examine the boards for weakness or decay. Small holes in wood boards can indicate an insect infestation, while leaves and debris left for a long time can harbor mold. If you can push a screwdriver into the wood, that's a good sign it's too weak, and a good sign it's time to replace it.

If your deck is made of wood:

Wood decks can last for decades if you clean and seal them regularly. First, be sure to keep your deck free from dirt, grime, mildew and mold. For a smaller deck, you can get the job done with a long-handled scrub brush. Larger decks may require periodic pressure washing.

Second, check whether your deck needs resealing. Test it by sprinkling some water on the surface. If the water beads up, your sealant is still effective. If the water seeps into the wood, you know it's time to reseal.

For the best results, it's a good idea to hire a professional once every few years to clean and seal your wood deck. A professional should use the correct power washing settings to avoid splintering the wood. And, they should also use the cleaning chemicals recommended by the manufacturer for your particular wood material.

Wear and tear, and sun and rain, can take their toll on any deck surface. Regular upkeep will help you get ahead of any issues and extend the life of your deck, saving you more time and money in the long run.

Submit "How can I prep my deck for summer?" to Digg Submit "How can I prep my deck for summer?" to del.icio.us Submit "How can I prep my deck for summer?" to StumbleUpon Submit "How can I prep my deck for summer?" to Google Submit "How can I prep my deck for summer?" to Facebook Submit "How can I prep my deck for summer?" to Twitter

Categories
Patio and Outdoor

Comments

Leave Comment Leave Comment