View RSS Feed

Hickory Chair

A Moment In Time For "The Cross Eyed Owl" Dining Chair

Rate this Entry

The great thing about classic design is that it is timeless. The great thing about heirloom quality is that it can withstand use so that it can become an antique or an heirloom. When you mix classic design with heirloom quality then you really have something special!

If you have not visited ebay and searched for Hickory Chair you would likely be surprised with how many pieces the search will find. Granted that there is a hickory bark furniture company that shows up when you type in Hickory Chair too, but on any given day you will find numerous heirlooms that the owner no longer needs but the quality of the pieces will not allow them to throw them away. One could call this sustainable furniture since it can be repurposed or recycled to another family.

Yesterday a set of Chippendale dining chairs from Hickory Chair were sold on ebay. The seller, Stenella Antiques, had a set of two 840-01 Chippendale Arm Chairs and eight 840-02 Chippendale Side Chairs that they had acquired from a family. The set of chairs were in almost mint condition. Two different requests came into Hickory Chair asking us to verify that they were truly Hickory Chair dining chairs. Fortunately we were able to confirm that they were indeed our chairs.

Hickory Chair made these chairs for many decades. They were introduced in the early 1960's and were made for approximately 30-35 years. In these years thousands of these mahogany chairs were crafted in the Hickory, North Carolina workroom. These classic Chippendale chairs were nicknamed "the cross eyed owl back chairs" by fans.

Recently Dean Farris, a designer from Naples, Florida wrote in his blog, Dean Farris Style about one of his favorite places, The Shackleford House, also known as The Pink House in Zillionville which is near Albany, Georgia. The dining room reminded him of the dining room at the Gasparilla Inn by Sister Parish. As I surveyed the pictures I realized that our 840-02 Chippendale Side Chairs were used in an ivory painted finish.

Over ten years ago I stayed at the beautiful Roslyn Claremont Hotel in Roslyn, New York. Upon entering my room I immediately recognized an 840-02 Chippendale Side Chair at the desk. Today I found on their web site a room scene that showed that these heirloom quality chairs were still being used in the rooms.

Almost every day someone contacts Hickory Chair eager to learn more about Hickory Chair vintage pieces that they have inherited or purchased. We try to help each person with any history about their piece. It makes you feel proud to know that the pieces made by talented American craftsmen are still appreciated after the decades since they were made. One hundred years and counting for Hickory Chair. We are proud that we have capabilities that allow us to make over 87% of our entire product line in Hickory, North Carolina.

Do you have a vintage Hickory Chair story to share? Contact us at press@hickorychair.com.

Submit "A Moment In Time For "The Cross Eyed Owl" Dining Chair" to Digg Submit "A Moment In Time For "The Cross Eyed Owl" Dining Chair" to del.icio.us Submit "A Moment In Time For "The Cross Eyed Owl" Dining Chair" to StumbleUpon Submit "A Moment In Time For "The Cross Eyed Owl" Dining Chair" to Google Submit "A Moment In Time For "The Cross Eyed Owl" Dining Chair" to Facebook Submit "A Moment In Time For "The Cross Eyed Owl" Dining Chair" to Twitter

Categories
Furniture , Cabinets , Bedroom , Chairs

Comments

Leave Comment Leave Comment